Monday, October 22, 2007

Day 1 : Hello World!

Sadie Rose -

It seems you paid attention to all of our cries and belly-aching regarding the fact that you weren't here yet! Your mom went in for a regularly-scheduled doctor's appointment this morning, and was informed that we were going to get to meet you today instead of Friday!

Your mom called me at work and I was a little taken by surprise. I thought it would take awhile for the doctors to actually get your mom back and ready for your arrival, but it didn't! Within less than an hour of my arrival at the hospital, I was looking at you in the flesh.

People told me that I might not find you to be beautiful right when you were born, but they were VERY wrong! I was struck by your preciousness from the moment the doctor showed you to me. You have your mom's face shape, nose and lips, but you share the trait of long fingers and toes with me. After the nurses cleaned you, got your footprint, and made sure you were safe and healthy, they handed you to me and I got to take you to mom. We just stared at you with tears in our eyes and marveled at how amazing you are. I know this part of the story might sound silly now, but one day when you have a baby of your own, you'll understand how breathtaking and unexplainable the whole process is.

The rest of the day has just been a whirlwind. Of course your Grandma and Grandpa E were here along with Aunt Amy, Uncle Steve, Cousin Jasmine and Uncle Joel. After you got a bath, we all took turns holding you. While your mom has been trying to recover from this big day, I've been on the phone calling all of your "Aunts" and "Uncles" all over the country. They are too many to list right now, but know that there are a lot of people all over the United States who are very excited about you - and they haven't even met you yet!

The nurses took you back to the nursery a few minutes ago to check on you and make sure you are still well and healthy. Is it weird that you are just down the hall and I already miss you?

I am so glad your mine. I need some sleep... It has been a HUGE, AWESOME day!

You are my baby!

- Dad

No comments: