Saturday, October 27, 2007

Day 6 : The Three Bears

S.R. -

Today was another good day!

The nurses have been able to lower your ventilator and your oxygen. They cut your second sedative dosage in half, and you are slowly starting to move your feet and arch your body. Your mom and I also convinced the nurse to let us take your Star Trek mask off for awhile so we could see your eyes. You never opened them, but it was still good to be able to see your face without obstruction. The nurses warned that it is still very likely that you might take a step backwards before you get completely better, but there may be a chance we could get to hold you on Monday. You can't imagine how excited this makes us!

Your "Uncle" Ben and "Aunt" Danielle came to the hospital to see you today, too. "Uncle" Ben is one of my oldest friends; we've known each other since elementary school. You should know that he has never been an emotional or touchy guy, but when he saw you today, he was overcome by how beautiful you are. He'll probably get mad that I am telling you this, but he cried a little! Later, when we were eating at a downtown deli, he called seeing you "one of the biggest highlights" of his year. Your mom and I have never seen this side of him before. It is really encouraging. You are so amazing that even the less-than-sensitive are overcome by your awesomeness!!

When I got some "alone time" with you this afternoon, I tried telling you the story "The Three Bears." The problem, though, was that half-way through, I realized I don't quite remember the story of the three bears. You'll find out soon that whenever I don't know the details of a story, I take a cue from your cousin Jasmine and just incorporate references to a shopping mall. It seemed to work. I don't think you noticed!

So many people are thinking about and praying for you! Keep working hard (but not TOO hard) to get better. Before you know it, you'll be in my arms!

- Dad

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sadie,
Hi baby, it is your Aunt Amy. Every time I read one of your daddy's letters, I cry. Partly from empathy and mainly from love for you! I am so happy you are doing so much better, but I am not too suprised...you see, you have people praying for you all over this country and that is not something to take lightly!! Sweet girl, not only are you in the hands of the GREAT physician, He knit you together in your mommys tummy and you are fearfully and wonderfully made!! Your big cousin Jasmine prays for you every dinnertime and every bedtime. We all want you to get well, so badly. I asked your mommy and daddy if after they hold you I could be next. I know that is incredibly selfish of me....but a girl's gotta try!! They said they want to hog you for awhile...and I don't blame them a bit. But I know you will have plenty of love to go around! That is the beauty of fresh and innocent life. There is so much love there!! You and I will have tons of great times over the next several years. I'll watch you so your parents can have date nights and you can play with Jasmine and Peanut. When you get a little older, we can even have sleep overs!! I can't wait to love on you and make up for lost time! For now, rest well and may the Lord bless you and keep you, may he make his face to shine upon you and give you his peace!!
Love you like crazy!
Aunt Amy