Friday, October 26, 2007

Day 5 : Comfort Food

Sadie -

I knew today would be a good day when I stepped outside and saw the sun for the first time since you entered the walking world on Monday.

You are still at the special kids hospital, but you made a good turn today. You finally stopped fighting the machines you are on, and your breathing has regulated. The nurses are starting to slowly turn down the ventilator.

Both today and yesterday after we visited you, I went down to the McDonalds in the lobby of the hospital and ate a Big Mac. I know that the food at McDonalds is disgusting and not good for me, but there is something about that greasy grub that is soothing when I am forced to be apart from you. We call it "comfort food." I am sure that when you are older, everytime you convince me to take you to McDonalds to run in the Playland and eat chicken nuggets, I'll think of these first few days of your life.

The other great thing that happened today is that your mom got to leave the hospital she has been in. The nurses there took great care of her, but it is nice to have her home. She has been napping and continuing to recuperate in between the times she makes food for you. She has already built up quite a supply of yumminess for you when you are finally able to eat.

Keep behaving and allowing your body to be adjusted. Soon enough this will all be over. One day we'll tell this story about your days in the hospital and we'll think about how long ago it all seems and how strong you have gotten since. Right now, though, let's take it one day at a time: hour by hour, minute by minute, breath by breath!

I love you more than ever.

- Dad

No comments: