Monday, October 29, 2007

Day 8 : Human Touch

Sadie -

Happy One Week Birthday!

I went back to work today for the first time since you were born. Everyone at my office has been very nice and understanding about my absence, and several of them really wanted to see pictures of you upon my return today.

Even though the place I work is good to me and I have friends there, going back today amidst all that is happening with you was really hard. During my lunch break, I met your mom and Aunt Amy at your hospital bed. We got to watch the nurses take you off of more of your medicines and monitors. Mom even stuck around for awhile so she could hold you for the first time since last week.

I went back to work for awhile, but before I drove home, I stopped back by to see you at the hospital so I could hold you in my arms for the first time as well. While I was waiting for the nurses to hand you over, I met the dad of the girl who is recovering next to you. He was there holding his daughter for the first time, too. His little girl was born a week before you and the valves on her heart were in the wrong places. She has already had open heart surgery in her short two-week life.

Hearing that story made me thankful and hopeful at the same time. Thankful because you didn't have to go through open heart surgery, and hopeful because if the staff at the hospital has gotten a little girl with a major heart problem close to recovery, I know the rest of your stay should be a breeze.

The next step before you come home involves learning to eat. Let me go ahead and tell you that even though learning to eat might be tough now, one day you will love it. That day may very well be the day several years from now when I let you try a sip of my Mountain Dew and a bite of a Snickers when your mom's not around!

Sadie, everyday without you at home with us is hard, but I know it will make everyday after you get here that much sweeter.

Sleep soundly tonight.

- Dad

No comments: