Thursday, November 1, 2007

Day 11 : Magic Hands

Sadie -

I told you that yesterday was a holiday called Halloween that lots of people celebrate. Today is a holiday that only me and your mom take part in. It was five years ago today that your mom and I first went out on a date. We got burgers at a little dive called Hugo's. Neither of us knew if the other person liked them. I was really nervous. But later in the evening, we saw one of your mom's friends who let it slip that your mom thought I was pretty cool. The rest, as they say, is sweet history! Two-and-a-half years after that first date, mom and I got married. And two-and-a-half years after that - you were born! We evidently like to divide our life into two-and-a-half year segments. I asked your mom today if she thought you'd have a brother or sister in another two-and-a-half years. We both decided we can only think about you right now!

I came to see you in the middle of the afternoon today. While your mom talked to a nurse, I changed your diaper and your clothes, and then fed you a bottle. You ate the whole thing really fast. Your mom and the nurses were really impressed and surprised. You hadn't eaten that cooperatively with anyone before. I have been bragging ever since about how I have the magic touch. Your mom is afraid you might already be a "daddy's girl." I secretly hope she is right.

If you keep eating like you did today, you might get to come home this weekend. Your mom and I are so excited about that prospect, we can hardly think about anything else. We did find time this evening, though, to celebrate our dating anniversary and go see a special sneak preview of a new movie called "August Rush." Your mom and I both loved it, but she said she might have liked it more than usual because it was about the bond between a mother and a child.

It is amazing how much you are already affecting our lives - even our taste in movies!

I love you so much!

- Dad

1 comment:

Jeffrey Miller said...

Yes, baby, yes, keep eating and getting healthier so you can go home. It's time for the family to just be together and no more hospitals! Brian and Deb, we're all still praying for little Sadie to just get stronger and better each day. We love you guys!


-jeff