Thursday, November 8, 2007

Day 18 : Security

Sadie -

You have been causing me to think a lot recently about the concept of security.

As you get older, you'll hear much fuss made about the idea of "freedom":
"Freedom of speech"; "Freedom of expression"; "Freedom to gather and protest";
When you are a teenager, you are liable to want to talk about the "freedom to date" and the "freedom of curfews."

As Americans and as humans, we are very much concerned about our personal ability to control ourselves and the things around us - that is really what freedom is. But right now, you are much more concerned about security.

You were crying earlier and seemed upset. I picked you up and wrapped my hands and forearms around your arms and legs, restricting your movement. To an adult, such treatment would warrant a physical fight, but to you it was comforting.

I held you tightly as your body relaxed in my grip and I thought about how proud I am to be able to offer you such security and comfort now - and how scared I am that I won't always be able to do so.

Sleep tight in my arms, baby girl.

- Dad

No comments: