Friday, November 9, 2007

Day 19 : Rewards

Sadie -

You'll learn quickly that I am not much on negativity.

One of my biggest pet peeves since my mom and I decided to have you as been how people who are already parents like to try to "warn" us or give us really generic, stereo-typical, and un-helpful advice.

A manager at my office has said to me (no less than three times in the past few weeks), "You'll never sleep soundly or see a movie again."

This says four things to me: 1) This lady is either very forgetful or must think she is really funny (because she KEEPS repeating herself); 2) This lady has no idea how soundly I sleep; 3) This lady has no idea how many movies I watch and how seriously I take that habit; 4) This lady obviously does not know how intense the Eichenberger decision making process is.

It is not like your mom and I are unwed, teenage parents. You aren't a product of a one night stand. Before you were even conceived, your mom read (and this is NOT an exaggeration!) at least ten large books on the process of pregnancy and the initial challenges of parenthood. We have partaken in several formal classes and been active observers in multiple case studies on early parenthood (Thanks Ms. Ivy and Mr. Ethan!). In short - we knew (and continue to know) what we were/are getting into.

I am on this soapbox for two reasons:

1) To let you know how desired you were, are, and continue to be. You were not a mistake. You were not a surprise. You are a prayer answered and a dream realized.

2) To make you understand how refreshing my encounter with Mr. Murphy was tonight.

Mr. Murphy works in my company. I don't know him well, but I've never thought much of him. He is kind of quiet and always seems a little distracted. We don't seem to have much in common, but we both found ourselves waiting on the same elevator at quitting time today. We made small talk about the fact that the weekend was finally here and he asked if I had big plans.

"I'll be hanging out with my daughter," I beamed. I said this in spite of the fact that I was sure his response would contain some comment about how soon I won't want to be around you, or I'll wish I could just sleep more soundly. But he surprised me.

"You have so much to look forward to," he said. "It is great now, and it just keeps getting greater. Think," he continued,"in a year from now, you'll be excited because she'll be having a birthday, and the holidays will be coming..." He seemed to almost be getting misty-eyed himself. "Nothing beats going home at night, looking in your kids face, and realizing all of the crap you've been worried about all day doesn't seem to matter." With this comment, Mr. Murphy said goodnight, and walked across the street to his car.

I'd like to thank Mr. Murphy for being the first current parent (with the exception of your "Uncle" Shack and "Aunt" Holly) to pay me the courtesy of realizing I understand the challenge I have undertaken, and instead of dwelling on what I have "given up, spelling out the reward I am about to receive.

And Sadie, you are SUCH a reward.

- Dad

1 comment:

Holly said...

Ahh shucks Brian that is so sweet. It was awesome to share Ivy's first year with you two.